Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 1 - The Italian Alphabet

The first day of almost any language course is going to include the alphabet.  'Alpha' being the first letter of the Greek alphabet, and 'bet' representing what you do at the track, it only makes sense.

Italian Alphabet Chart
Source

If you search for Italian alphabet on YouTube you get a wide range of videos addressing this.  Everything from sing-along songs to the droning tone of a bored lecturer most people associate with British schoolhouses is here, and then some.  Since I am not learning to explicitly write or read Italian in a classroom setting, I don't know how essential knowing the alphabet will be.  Due to this, we'll just go with the first entry.


This guy seems crazy in a way I can't quite put my finger on, but he covers the material.  I'm not sure I'll be using his other videos for the learning process but it's Day 1 so who knows.

I think the biggest thing to take away from this is the pronunciation of the letter 'c.'  Based on the various other alphabets I've partially learned over the years, 'c' seems the most unique in Italian.  The picture above states 'ci,' I'm not sure how I would pronounce 'ci,' maybe 'see,' but note that it's pronounced 'chee.'  That's not an official international language way of writing it, just how I think of it.  Some of the other letters might not sound like how you interpret the above chart so take a listen to get you on the right track.

So there you have it, the Italian alphabet, with a few other phrases if you watched the video.

Tomorrow I hope to learn some SOS phrases that will identify you as a hopeless English speaking tourist.

Any tips or tricks for learning the Italian alphabet?  Feel free to post below.

No comments:

Post a Comment